Monday, November 17, 2014

November 14th was World Diabetes Day

Happy World Diabetes Day!  Why do I say "Happy" World Diabetes Day? Well, thanks to Michele Quigley's thought provoking post and the approaching Thanksgiving holiday I, too, wanted to write from a perspective of gratitude.  I do plan to write often about the challenges of type 1 diabetes, but I also do not want my posts to be just about doom and gloom.

We are very blessed to be living in this time period when insulin is readily available.  Just a hundred years ago, children diagnosed with type 1 diabetes did not survive.  Whenever I am feeling sad, I try to remember that fact.  Today we have disposable, thinner needles - just decades ago, type 1 diabetes had to boil their much thicker needles in anticipation of the next injection.  We have blood glucose meters, continuous glucose monitors, and even an artificial pancreas being developed which make it easier to keep BGs in the proper range.  Years ago, diabetics used urine strips to approximate BGs - I can't imagine that method being very accurate.  And don't forget the insulin pump - they are getting smaller and smaller and can do fabulous calculations based on how many carbs you have just eaten, what your last BG was, and how long it has been since your last bolus.

A few years ago, there was a story published about a 90 year old man who has had type 1 diabetes for 85 years!  He is still active and going strong.  I think in the coming years, we will hear about more and more people living long lives with type 1 diabetes.

I know that diabetes is not fun, can be challenging, and some parents never stop getting teary eyed at times, but in a lot of ways, it is Happy World Diabetes Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment